Did you know that your home insulation plays a huge role in your indoor comfort? When the insulation in your walls, attic and crawlspaces is properly installed, it provides protection against outdoor elements throughout the year. Insulation keeps undesired air from getting inside and throwing off your indoor living environment. It’s important to replace it when it becomes inefficient.
Unfortunately, the problem most homeowners run into is not knowing when their home insulation needs to be replaced. The best thing to do, if this is the case, is consult a professional for an inspection to assess the condition of the insulation. Fortunately, as a homeowner, you can also take some useful preventative measures. Here are five telltale signs of inefficient home insulation in Petaluma, CA to watch out for:
- Inconsistent indoor air temperatures: Two top signs you might need new insulation are the indoor temperature constantly changing and an inconsistent temperature in individual rooms. This could mean the insulation in the attic is shifting due to age or damage. Either way, insulation that has shifted will let in the cold air or heat, wreaking havoc on your HVAC system as it struggles to maintain a consistent indoor air temperature.
- Noticeable indoor drafts: If you are feeling air drafts inside your house when all the windows and doors are closed, then your insulation may need upgrading. You need enough insulation material to act as a block between the outside air and the indoor environment to avoid air leaks, which are often the result of poor insulation installation.
- Dependency on AC, fans or heater: Although body temperature regulation is different for everyone, there should not be a need to keep the heater, air conditioner or fans on all the time—that is, unless the insulation is failing to protect your house. Having to leave any of these on all the time to keep your home comfortable could point to a problem with your home insulation in Petaluma, CA.
- Wet or damaged insulation: There are many ways your home insulation can sustain water damage. The roof could have a leak; your home could flood during a storm; there could be a plumbing leak. Whatever the cause, the insulation is no longer usable and needs to be replaced immediately. If left unaddressed, the insulation will breed mold, mildew and bacteria, all of which are unhealthy for people to come into contact with.
- Increased energy bills: Compare your energy bill with your bill from the same time last year. Is there a significant difference between usage and energy costs? A rising monthly energy bill is a sign of inefficient insulation. This happens when indoor air escapes and the HVAC has to work harder than usual to maintain your desired indoor temperature.
It’s easier than you think to find the best insulation solution to ensure your indoor comfort and a consistent home temperature. If you are concerned about your home insulation in Petaluma, CA or are interested in replacing the current material, don’t hesitate to contact the exceptional team at Ace Insulation Inc. Call to schedule your appointment today!
Categorised in: Home Insulation