There are a number of choices when it comes to choosing a material to insulate your home. They all keep your home warm during the winter and cool during the summer, but some just work better than others. However, just like most products, the better working insulation materials cost more money. If you want to choose the absolute best insulator, your first and only option is spray foam insulation.
What is spray foam insulation, and how does it work?
A spray foam insulation contractor in Petaluma, CA is probably the only person who really needs to know what spray foam insulation is actually made of and how it works, but here’s the gist of it. Spray foam insulation is made of two materials: polyurethane and isocyanate. When those two are combined, the resulting chemical reaction causes them to expand and harden. A spray foam insulation contractor applies those two materials in a desired area using a spray foam gun. The two materials create a protective barrier that efficiently insulates the area.
There are two different types of spray foam insulation: closed-cell and open-cell foam. While they’re both excellent insulators, closed-cell works a little better, but is also a little more expensive.
Some of the primary benefits of spray foam insulation include:
- It has noise dampening effects: Since open-cell insulation is denser, it acts as an effective sound barrier. This comes in handy when you’re trying to drown out the noise from your loud neighbors!
- It sticks to everything it touches: Once a spray foam insulation contractor in Petaluma, CA applies the foam, you can rest assured that it’s going to effectively cover the entire area. Every nook and cranny is going to be coated with the highest-quality insulator.
- It’s proven to be the best insulator: All insulation materials are given a rating by the government, called an R-value. An insulator’s R-value rates how well the material can trap air inside your home and prevent air from getting out. The higher the R-value, the better the product. Spray foam has an R-value of 6, the highest on the market.
- It blocks moisture and deters mold: Small holes and cracks in your walls let in more than just air. Moisture can get into your house and wreak havoc! Since spray foam sticks to everything it touches, it effectively fills all of those tiny cracks and holes not covered by traditional insulation materials. The foam will absorb any water that does happen to get into your house, so there’s no risk of mold growth.
Like any product, spray foam insulation does have some potential downsides. The extent to which you’ll consider the following factors may depend on your budget and other needs:
- It’s costly: Spray foam insulation is the most expensive insulator on the market. However, it is also the best. Over time, its benefits far outweigh its cost.
- It must be installed by a professional: Due to the technical nature of its application, installing spray foam insulation isn’t a DIY project.
- It’s not great for the environment: As you may have been able to guess, polyurethane and isocyanate aren’t natural materials. Their production has some negative effects on the environment.
When you’re ready to keep your home nice and toasty this winter, and cool all summer long, get in touch with a spray foam insulation contractor in Petaluma, CA for professional assistance. Give Ace Insulation Inc. a call to schedule spray foam insulation installation!
Categorised in: Spray foam insulation