If you are a homeowner or business owner, you probably already know the basics of insulation: it keeps your building more energy efficient, it helps with temperature fluctuation and it can even improve air quality. But you might not be aware of just how effective insulation is, or where the concept even came from.
Here at Ace Insulation Inc., we are passionate about what we do, and we love sharing our passion with our customers. Here are a few interesting scientific and historical facts we have learned about insulation in Petaluma, CA over the years:
- Insulation was first invented in the Middle Ages, which took place between the 5th and 15th People lined the walls of their homes with mud, dirt and straw to help stay warm during the winter.
- Asbestos insulation was first created by the ancient Greeks, who were looking for a safer alternative to mud and straw. The word “asbestos” means “inextinguishable.” After finding out the harmful effects of asbestos in the 1970s, insulation services switched to using fiberglass and other, safer materials.
- Like many great inventions, fiberglass was originally created on accident. A young scientist was trying to make a vacuum seal between two pieces of glass, and tested his work with a high-pressure air jet. The air created fibers in the glass.
- Today, insulation is touted for being energy efficient. In fact, insulation is over 600 times more effective than other energy efficiency products, such as compact fluorescent lights, Energy Star windows and Energy Star appliances.
- Insulation is measured in “R value” meaning resistance to the flow of heat. The higher a particular insulation’s R value is, the more effective it will be in insulating your home.
- There are over 10 different materials currently being used for insulating purposes today. These insulation materials include but are not limited to the following: spray foam, blown fiberglass, cellulose, injection foam and many more.
- A home with proper insulation uses, on average, 42 percent less energy than a similar home without proper insulation. That energy savings translates to lower utility bills for property owners.
- Insulation does not only protect your home or business from harsh weather and excess energy use. It also reduces the amount of carbon dioxide in your air supply. In fact, it is estimated that insulation cuts down on 780 tons of carbon dioxide each year.
- If you do not have insulation in your attic, your home could be losing up to 60 percent of its energy everyday.
The more you learn about insulation, the easier it is to see that this crucial material plays a big role in keeping your property safe, comfortable and affordable to maintain. From the Ancient Greeks and the Middle Ages to the present day, insulation has always been a useful and necessary innovation.
If you are in need of new insulation in Petaluma, CA, please get in touch with Ace Insulation Inc. today. We look forward to making your home or business more energy efficient.