Summer is quickly approaching, and it is sure to be another warm one here in California. During the months of June, July and August, most Petaluma residents consider their home air conditioner to be their very best friend. But overusing your AC can drive up your utility bills, and may even cause your unit to break down.
To avoid this fate, many smart homeowners look at a variety of different ways to stay cooler during the summer without overworking their air conditioners. As an insulation service in Petaluma, CA, the team at Ace Insulation Inc. wants to help. To that end, here are six tips for beating the heat this summer without killing your AC:
- Use fans: Air conditioners create cold air, but fans are what circulate that cold air throughout each room. If you do not have ceiling fans, consider installing some, or at least buying a few freestanding or desk fans for rooms that see a lot of traffic in your home.
- Take advantage of shade: Keeping your blinds down during those few peak hours of afternoon heat can help keep the worst of the summer warmth out of your home. If you are also looking for more long-term solutions, consider planting a few trees on your property to provide natural shade and cooler temperatures.
- Eat cooler meals: Choosing to cook and eat cooler meals, such as salads or chilled soups, helps your AC in two key ways: it keeps you from turning on the stove and oven, and it keeps your body temperature nice and cool. Eating cooler meals is also often a healthier choice, so long as you don’t just have ice cream for dinner.
- Get out of the house: During those record heat days, it can be tempting to stay at home all day with the AC cranked up all the way. But getting out for even a few hours gives your air conditioner a chance to rest, just as long as you remember to turn it down before you leave. Try bringing your whole family somewhere with ample AC, such as a movie theater, mall or restaurant.
- Have your AC serviced: If you want to make sure your AC continues to be up to the task for many more summers to come, you need to invest in routine maintenance. Have a fully certified HVAC professional come to your home at least once or twice a year for standard service.
- Invest in insulation: All of the above tips are great, but one of the most effective solutions for beating summer heat is having new insulation installed in your home. Whether your house is fairly new or over 100 years old, your insulation service in Petaluma, CA can provide affordable insulation to keep the hot air out, and keep the cool air inside.
Ace Insulation Inc. is proud to be a locally owned and operated insulation service in Petaluma, CA. Get in touch today to learn more about how we can help you stay cool this summer.